Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

F1 Guru Adrian Newey leave Redbull

I think we saw this one coming, didn't we? Like it was for McLaren in their boardroom battle in 2009 onwards, that decimated the potential of the team, and the consequential departure of key staff. Redbull is playing out that same scenario. We watch in awe as this great team starts the process of imploding as it highlights the ever-increasing void that Dietrich Mateschitz has left behind.
    As with McLaren, it started with one key figure departing and many others followed while they were still highly desired resources to other teams.

The burning question is where is Newey going to end up? I don't see him going to a customer team like Aston Martin, but anything is possible in F1. The only teams that l think would have the appeal to attract him are Ferrari, Mercedes, or Audi. Would Adrian be interested in a startup team? I think that would be a younger man's sort of project. Is Mercedes without Hamilton or a proven championship-winning driver going to be interesting to him, l wonder.

Mercedes might be a possibility if Verstappen is also going there. It is hard to see him going anywhere else other than Ferrari. That seems to be a perfect setup for a victory lap before bowing out of the F1 circus.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 27th April 2024 at 16:12.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    At 65 years old retirement is a very real option.

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    At 65 years old retirement is a very real option.
    He might be leaving Red Bull but he won't be leaving F1 anytime soon.
    FanAmp and r/GrandPrixTravel - Two Wonderful Places for F1 Fans

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    He might be leaving Red Bull but he won't be leaving F1 anytime soon.
    I wouldn't put any money on that. His name is not Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Used to be Starter View Post
    I wouldn't put any money on that. His name is not Bernie.
    You can't buy experience, one has to live it to attain it.
    Newey has that particular know-how to make a championship-winning turnaround for any team. His worth even at 65 is immense. I think he has at least one more championship-winning car in him.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Aston Martin is my bet , as Newey will have a blank check , a Fernando Alonso , and a works Honda engine with which to play .

And , speaking of Fred , how do you suppose they enticed him to stay ?
    Perhaps they offered him a Newey car .

It seems to make sense , doesn't it ?

Liked 186 Times in 150 Posts
    It would be great to see him pull a big surprise and go somewhere like Williams, just to show how good he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    You can't buy experience, one has to live it to attain it.
    Newey has that particular know-how to make a championship-winning turnaround for any team. His worth even at 65 is immense. I think he has at least one more championship-winning car in him.
    No question he would be worth a LOT to any team. I'm just saying that one of the very real options for him is to retire. I didn't say I thought he would do that, just that it is an option on the table. I think that it is just as likely as his going to another team - neither more nor less so.

Let's recap for a minute on Adrian Newey's achievements. He has won F1 championships with three teams, namely Williams, McLaren, and Redbull. Cumulating into 13 Constructors and/or drivers titles. Listed below are all the drivers and Newey cars that have won F1 titles:-

1992 Williams FW14 - Nigel Mansell
    1993 Williams FW15C - Alain Prost
    1996 Williams FW18 - Damon Hill
    1997 Williams FW19 - Jacque Villeneuve
    1998 - 1999 Mclaren MP4/13 - Mika Hakkinen
    2010 - 2013 Redbull RB6/7/8/9 - Sebastian Vettel
    2021 - 2023 Redbull RB17/18/19 - Max Verstappen
    [The 2021 title remains questionable of course]

He is supremely the most successful car designer in F1 history. And that is saying something.

I think the real battleground for Newey's service would be between Ferrari, Mercedes, and Audi. Mercedes would be pressed to prevent such a talent from going anywhere else other than Mercedes. Unfortunately, they currently do not have the sort of driver that would appeal to Newey since they lost Hamilton to Ferrari. The same goes for Audi at this stage.

Ferrari seems the very obvious destination, as they have the iconic status and they have Seven Times World champion Lewis Hamilton in their car. And they have been the only team to win a race in this Redbull-dominated era. That said, the British connection of Aston Martin for whom he designed a road car recently may also be a possibility. Especially with Alonso in their car.

If you were Newey at 65 and close to retirement, would you not want to end this illustrious journey with another World Championship win with a fourth team? Hence, it would come down to the team with the right facilities and resources. With an obvious chance of winning. With a car with a design on the right trajectory. More importantly, with a driver or pair of drivers capable of winning the driver's and constructors' championship.

Ferrari ticks all of those boxes. Then again so do Aston Martin and Mclaren for that matter. A move of Verstappen to Mercedes may just supersede all of the above. But Mercedes does not have the car to entice Verstappen from a highly successful Redbull. It would take Mercedes landing an Adrian Newey deal for Verstappen to be enticed. As it is the other way around. Hence Mercedes would need to grab them both together to be able to prevent Ferrari from grabbing Newey.

This one would be entertaining to watch over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd May 2024 at 18:03.
    William Shakespeare

IT IS CONFIRMED!!!

ADRIAN NEWEY IS ACTUALLY LEAVING REDBULL

Focus is now on Redbull to see how they hold up with a vacuum in their design team. Will Verstappen. be on the move as well?

Apparently, Newey can join a new team in 2025, which means he would be in the design room tracing the car for 2026 in a new team. The question now is which lucky team would he be joining? It would be mega if he partners up with Hamilton at Ferrari as it would be if he joins Alonso. Two iconic F1 racing drivers.

Is it a tail spin downwards for Redbull from now on? I remember McLaren in a similar position did put on a brave face and shrugged off any concern when Hamilton left as did a few key personnel to Mercedes. In the end, they drifted backward into the midfield where they have been since. Can Redbull keep it together?

Miami is probably the last time we will see Newey on the Redbull pitwall and probably in Redbull blues.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 1st May 2024 at 18:09.
    William Shakespeare