Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Having just polished up my crystal ball, I'm quite sure that Adrian will........

Go to Haas for free, and with his talents bring the WCC to the team and WDC home for Nico Hulkenberg. Seeking a true challenge, Adrian gives up his proposed salary so that they can buy the Hulk out from his Audi contract, and once done they announce Adrian coming on board with the team. Adrian then sails off into the sunset, having taken a driver incapable of a podium during his career and turning him into a dominating WDC victor.

Despite his usual modest nature and old school habits, he starts taking notes with an iPad, and trash talks all other teams and drivers throughout the season, yelling things such as "Show me what you've got chumps!" Reliable sources within the media report that his large Haas drink container is usually filled with mostly various alcoholic drinks, though there is speculation as to what types. As for the team, all people other than Gene Haas are removed, and the bottom of the barrel employees hired in. Gene Haas reported that Adrian had clearly stated that given a couple hundred monkeys, he would build a championship winning car. He then put that in writing in a contract with Gene, and all of his financial wealth and worldly possessions would be at stake if he did not achieve his stated goal.

Seriously, until Newey states what he plans to do, we can speculate all day. With his talent no doubt teams will toss money at him, but we have no idea what his intentions or motivations might be. He might stay in the sport or other motorsports in some capacity, or he might just really sail off into the sunset as in his new sailboat, since he had stated a desire to sail around the world in it.

With the new regs coming into the picture it would seem to me that hoping to build a dominant car out of the gate would be a reach even for someone as talented as he is, so more than likely any hopes of more titles and such would imply a longer term if he does stay in the game. Or he could bow out having once again proven he is capable of producing a dominant car, as he has done the last few years with RB. Not that he has to prove much of anything anyway, he will remain legendary regardless of his path.

But you heard it here first. Hass will be given a car so dominant that Hulk will be the first 8x WDC.

2. Likes: Bagwan (5th May 2024)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Let's recap for a minute on Adrian Newey's achievements. He has won F1 championships with three teams, namely Williams, McLaren, and Redbull. Cumulating into 13 Constructors and/or drivers titles. Listed below are all the drivers and Newey cars that have won F1 titles:-

1992 Williams FW14 - Nigel Mansell
    1993 Williams FW15C - Alan Prost
    1996 Williams FW18 - Damon Hill
    1997 Williams FW19 - Jacque Villenueve
    1998 - 1999 Mclaren MP4/13 - Mika Hakkennen
    2010 - 2013 Redbull RB6/7/8/9 - Sebastien Vettel
    2021 - 2023 Redbull RB17/18/19 - Max Verstappen
    [The 2021 title remains questionable of course]
    All of Newey's achievements wane of course comparing to your achievement of spelling 4 out of 7 world champions' names wrong

What is interesting is that with the exception of Prost, all other drivers have achieved their first championship in a Newey-designed car. So he usually went where he saw the biggest unrealized potential, not necessarily where the major drivers were. This could speak against Ferrari.

Also, the list shows that having Newey does not automatically and instantly produce a world championship for a team. He didn't design a champion-winning car in all of the 2000s and then had another dry spell at Red Bull in the second half of the 2010s.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    All of Newey's achievements wane of course comparing to your achievement of spelling 4 out of 7 world champions' names wrong
    :-)
    Well spotted, corrected now. That's what happens when one rushes to put stuff out l suppose.

Fair point also about Newey making promising drivers World Champions. This time around, his motivation would be tempered with the desire to finish on a high. Making another team constructor's world champion would scratch that itch. It probably would need to be the sort of team that would make his name immortalized in F1 history. And it doesn't come bigger than Ferrari.

I personally would like him to go back to Williams and make them world champions once more. But l doubt that, they were horrible to him when he left Williams.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd May 2024 at 18:17.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Also, the list shows that having Newey does not automatically and instantly produce a world championship for a team. He didn't design a champion-winning car in all of the 2000s and then had another dry spell at Red Bull in the second half of the 2010s.
    On the contrary; every team Newey left, went off a cliff soon after, and never recovered. From Williams to McLaren, it would be interesting to see if Redbull can survive him.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Marko is out saying that he'll be wearing green .
    He must have seen my post .

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Despite claims of Ferrari trying to snatch him up, Pierre Wache is now contracted to Red Bull through 2028. Safe to say he's not going to jump ship and follow Newey if he just signed a new contract.

As for Newey, until it's heard from his mouth none of us know. As it stands it looks like he will be involved with 4 WDC titles on the trot, equal to what Lewis got with Merc. If they manage to stay strong next year, 5 in a row would equal what Schumacher did at Ferrari.

I think it's safe to say that he will be a legend regardless of what he chooses to do. He doesn't need to add anything to his resume to stand out.

On the contrary; every team Newey left, went off a cliff soon after, and never recovered. From Williams to McLaren, it would be interesting to see if Redbull can survive him.
    Leyton House even went bust after Newey left
    McLaren did at least win a championship post-Newey (Hamilton in 2008).
    Williams' problem was losing both Newey and their works engine at the same time, something that Red Bull faces as well.

Leyton House even went bust after Newey left
    McLaren did at least win a championship post-Newey (Hamilton in 2008).
    Williams' problem was losing both Newey and their works engine at the same time, something that Red Bull faces as well.
    The chassis that Hamilton won with was based on the Newey design that won Hakkinen his titles. Mclaren went down the tubes after the major rules change of 2009 when Mclaren had to produce a new chassis other than the Newey one. Brawn cracked it and took the 2009 title with Button, which set the stage for the Redbull run of wins.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 186 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    It would be great to see him pull a big surprise and go somewhere like Williams, just to show how good he is.
    'The talks are still at an early stage, but are we in talks? Yes,'' team boss James Vowles revealed in Miami. ''I've known Adrian for a while and I spoke to him on Friday. I am also pretty sure I will have another conversation with him soon. He is an icon of the sport, there is no doubt about that.''

The chassis that Hamilton won with was based on the Newey design that won Hakkinen his titles. Mclaren went down the tubes after the major rules change of 2009 when Mclaren had to produce a new chassis other than the Newey one. Brawn cracked it and took the 2009 title with Button, which set the stage for the Redbull run of wins.
    I have my doubts that the MP 4/23 of 2008, designed by Tim Goss and Simon Lacey, was really based on a design Newey had made ten years earlier for the MP 4/13, especially considering there had been quite a few changes of the regulations in the intervening years (including a reduction the size of the rear diffusor in 2005).